Weekend Review Nov 8th-10th

The Blue Hens traveled up to the LaHaye Ice Center to face Liberty University. The game on Friday and the game on Saturday were high scoring affairs, with the Blue Hens taking the first game but coming up short in the second.

The first period was not one to remember for the Blue Hens. Liberty managed to score three times in roughly ten minutes. Goalie Patrick Rochefort was peppered with 12 shots in the first period, and Delaware made things even worse for him by committing two penalties. The second penalty, a hooking minor on Freshman Cole Zucker, led to Liberty’s third goal.

The Blue Hens were able to win some momentum in the end of the first period. Thanks to an elbowing call 19 minutes into the first, the Blue Hens started the period on the power play. Things only got better from there.

About four minutes into the second period, Blue Hen Freshman Andrew Corapi scored an unassisted goal. About four minutes later, Vincent Zingarelli was able to beat Liberty goalie Cary Byron to make it a 3-2 game.

The Blue Hens attack on the Liberty defense was relentless. About 12 minutes into the second period, Matthew Santucci found line mate Michael Conte, who was able to score the game-tying goal.

The Blue Hens were not done yet. Two minutes after tying the game, Corey Leskanic scored his first goal of the year to put the Blue Hens up 4-3 to end the second.

Liberty attempted a comeback, managing 12 shots against Rochefort yet again. However, the Blue Hens were the first to score in the period. Andrew Corapi, the guy who scored the first goal for the Blue Hens, managed to find blue liner Nick Ustaski. Ustaski fired a shot pass Liberty goalie Byron to give the Blue Hens the 5-3 lead.

Liberty answered back with a goal 12 minutes into the third to make it a 5-4 game yet again. They could not find the equalizer thanks to another strong period by Rochefort, who only let in one goal in the second and third period.

Matthew Santucci put the icing on the cake with ten seconds left in the third. His empty net goal made the final score 6-4 Blue Hens.

Liberty got off to another fast start in the second game. They managed 19 shots in the first period and forced a couple penalties.

Vincent Zingarelli was called for slashing 3:24 into the game, which led to the power play goal by Liberty forward Lindsay LeBlanc. It didn’t take the Blue Hens long to recover. Marcello Deangelis feed the puck to Senior Alex Guerere, who fired a slap shot pass goalie Bryon to score his first goal of the season.

10:03 into the first, John Redgate would then pick up a minor for interference. Rochefort came up with big save after big save to keep it a 1-1 game heading into the first intermission.

Only one goal was scored in the second period. Liberty forward Chase Harris scored on the power play to give Liberty the 2-1 lead.

The wheels came off for the Blue Hens in the third period. They were not disciplined, and took four penalties in the third. Liberty scored three goals in the period to make what was a 2-1 game at the start of the third a 5-1 game by the end of it.

The Blue Hens have off the rest of the week. They will travel to Hershey Park to face Lebanon Valley on Friday November 21st. They will finally return to the Fred Rust arena on Saturday November 22nd.