Newark local, Shane Mullin, is a forward and assistant captain for the Blue Hens. Currently studying Management, Shane has been playing with the team since his freshman year, but playing hockey since he was four. His two brothers and dad played, so Mullin was born into the sport. However, he also played lacrosse and golf in high school, and still enjoys the 18 holes today.
This Flyers fan chose to come to UD because of its close proximity to his house and to save money, but he didn’t know he wanted to play hockey until he got here. He says, “I kinda just tried out for the team for fun and ended up making it.” But, now he is happy with his decision to try out. Since his time with the Hens, his most memorable experience with the team was sweeping Stony Brook at home last season. He says that, “we haven’t won there [at Stony Brook] in four or five years.” But last year was the first time that they beat them at home in about that same time span. He would say that either the Seawolves or URI would have to be the team’s two biggest rivals.
As assistant captain, Shane plays an important role for the team. He says, “I lead by example. I’m not as vocal as the other captains, but the way I play is an example of how I feel others should play as well.” So far this season, Mullin has racked up a total of eighteen goals and six assists. He has truly set a standard on playing a strong game as a forward. However as his time with the Hens comes to a close, his final words for the team and future players to come is to “Cherish the moments in the four years because they go quick.”
- Cats or dogs? Dogs.
- Kate’s or Grottos? Grottos.
- If you could have any superpower what would it be? Fly.
- Most embarrassing moment ever? “Going out on the ice during practice with skate guards on.”
- If you could choose one song to sing on American Idol, what would it be? You Raise Me Up by Josh Groban.
- Who is your celebrity crush? Selena Gomez.
- Dream vacation spot? Bahamas.
- What’s the best prank you ever played? Putting vegetable oil on a staircase and people were falling down the stairs.
- What’s one thing you can’t live without? Cell phone.
- Fallon or Kimmel? Fallon.
- Who is your role model? Rob Gronkowski.
- If your life were made into a movie, who would play you? The Rock.
- Best pickup line? A series of math questions that leads to giving a girl your phone number.
- What’s your favorite color? Orange.
- If you could eat dinner with any three people, dead or alive, who would they be? Patrick Kane, Rob Gronkowski, Katt Williams.
- Who is your favorite Disney princess? Elsa.
- Spongebob or Patrick? Spongebob.
- You’re a new Crayola crayon color, what’s your name? “Ricky’s Red.”
- Is it a great day to be a Blue Hen? “It is.”
- Ready to graduate or no? “Not ready to graduate.”