Matt’s Audio Interview:
Senior and forward, Matt Santucci, has been skating since the age of 4 and playing hockey since he was 6 years old. He grew up in Basking Ridge, New Jersey, and was influenced by a close family friend to start playing hockey. Matt went to a game and enjoyed it, so he started playing himself.
One of his best hockey memories is “Winning 3 straight league championships in high school. The crowd was always awesome, and that will definitely be a memory I will always have.” Before coming to college, Matt went to Lawrenceville Prep School in NJ. He chose Delaware because a friend of his had played here. Matt came down to talk to the former coaches who knew everything about him, from his prep school days to even his youth teams. It made him feel wanted here. Now, at the University of Delaware, he is a Marketing major and Journalism minor and plans on going to law school after graduation. Throughout his time here, he has made many great memories with the team. One of his best memories here was travelling to Arizona with the team his sophomore year. “It was like a little vacation because we got to go in the middle of November. That’s definitely a trip I won’t forget.” They played their games, and got to have a little fun out there as well.
When it comes to team rivalries though, Matt thinks that URI is the team’s biggest rival, and his own. “Those games are always real fun to play in. We had that kind of brawl with them two years ago, and I was on the ice for that, and I kinda had to make sure Alex Guerere didn’t die. So that was fun, but yeah our games are always close and it’s always fun to play in those games.” He said that a lot of his teammate will say that Stony Brook is a rival, but he doesn’t feel the same way because Stony Brook always seems to beat us.
As a senior, he plays an important role on the team. Matt believes it is important for him to lead by example and make sure that the team morale is high. In the winter months, team morale starts to go down and people don’t really want to be at the rink, so you need to try to keep things fun. Matt’s last words for the team are, “Enjoy it. It goes by real quick. I can’t believe I have, what, 8 games left, so enjoy even the practices, like Tuesday nights when you’re at the rink for workouts and practice. Just enjoy everything you can.”
- Cats or dogs? Dogs, of course.
- Pizza or ice cream? Ice cream.
- Kate’s or Grottos? Kate’s.
- If you could only bring three things to an island, what would they be? Charlotte McKinney, a lighter, and a gun for protection and hunting.
- If you could choose to sing one song on American Idol, what would it be? “Wagon Wheel, not the Darius Rucker version though.”
- If your life were made into a movie, who would play you? Mark Ruffalo
- You’re a new Crayola crayon color, what’s your name? Matt Black
- Favorite throwback song? Born In the USA by Bruce Springsteen
- What’s your favorite Disney princess? Elsa
- Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Egg
- Pepsi or Coke? Coke
- Most embarrassing moment ever? “I went to the library for a group meeting, but me and only one other girl showed up. So we were in one of the rooms, and it was all quiet. We were both just sitting there doing our work, and this high pitched noise from my stomach just happened for like 8 to 10 seconds, and I swear it wasn’t a fart but it sounded like a fart. And I could just feel her eyes staring at me, but I didn’t look up from my computer screen or anything and that was really mortifying to happen.”
- If you could have any superpower, what would it be? The ability to stop time or control time
- Favorite Kardashian? Scott
- Fallon or Kimmel? Fallon
- Dream vacation spot? Amalfi Coast
- Spongebob or Patrick? Spongebob
- If you could choose to swap lives with any celebrity, who would it be? Jordan Spieth, the golfer
- Is it a great day to be a Blue Hen? Of course.
- Ready to graduate or no? No, not even ready for winter session to be over.
Written By: Analisa Vizzoni and Tyler Fitzpatrick