At the young age of six, Andrew Corapi started learning how to skate. Up in New Canaan, CT, his mom signed him up for lessons, then got him into hockey. The first in his family to start playing, Andrew grew to love the game. At the age of ten, he made an international tournament team for the USA. He and his team traveled to Germany, and took home the gold in the tourney. He remembers it as a “pretty cool experience.”
Coming to his mom’s alma mater, Andrew visited and said, “I want to play hockey for the Blue Hens.” Now at the University of Delaware studying Marketing and playing hockey since his freshman year, Corapi has enjoyed his past seasons with the team. He recalled a few great memories, for example playing in the National tournament his sophomore year. He also acknowledged the first time playing in the Rust his senior year, and reminiscing on his time here. Throughout the seasons, he has played some top notch competition, and one of the greatest rivals of the team, he believes, is URI. He said, “In general, the biggest battles come when we play URI.”
Now in his final season with the Blue Hens, he feels his role with the team is to always bring energy. Once it starts to get deep into the season, it gets difficult to show up to the rink everyday, so always bringing a lightness and good mood to the locker room is something he does. Andrew remembers his freshman year when a senior on the team, Marcello DeAngelis, said to him, “Leave the program in better shape than when you found it.” That resonated with him, and now being a senior, those are his parting words to his younger teammates and the future Blue Hens to come.
- Cats or dogs? Dogs.
- Kate’s or Grottos? Kate’s.
- If you could have any superpower what would it be? Flying.
- Most embarrassing moment ever? A picture of me going into the boards head first, with no one else in the picture.
- If you could choose one song to sing on American Idol, what would it be? Danny California by the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
- Who is your celebrity crush? Blake Lively.
- Dream vacation spot? Bermuda.
- What’s the best prank you ever played? “In boarding school, we used to put water in garbage cans and tip them on the side of friends doors, and when they used to open the door, the water would spill into their room.”
- What’s one thing you can’t live without? My roommates.
- Fallon or Kimmel? Fallon.
- Who is your role model? “My little brother. He is a sophomore at West Point, one of the toughest kids I know, competes his heart out, he jumps out of planes for fun, and is going to go serve our country, and I’m really proud of him.”
- If your life were made into a movie, who would play you? Christian Bale.
- Best pickup line? “Hi, I play for UD hockey.”
- What’s your favorite color? Blue.
- If you could eat dinner with any three people, dead or alive, who would they be? Patrick Kane, Blake Lively, and JFK.
- Who is your favorite Disney princess? Belle.
- Spongebob or Patrick? Spongebob.
- You’re a new Crayola crayon color, what’s your name? “Brussel Sprout Brown.”
- Is it a great day to be a Blue Hen? “It is always a phenomenal day to be a Blue Hen.”
- Ready to graduate or no? No.