Alex’s Audio Interview:
Alex Guerere is a defenseman for the University of Delaware Division 1 Men’s Ice Hockey team. He comes from Ashburn, Virginia, but was originally from the west coast before making his move to the east.
Influenced by his uncles on his Mom’s side of the family, Alex started playing hockey at the age of 6. His uncles all played college hockey, and one of them went on to play for the Atlanta Flames. Alex is a Finance major and Marketing minor at school, but after college is “looking to keep playing hockey and maybe try to go play in one of the minor leagues down south or something like that.” One of Alex’s best memories from hockey is winning the state championship as a sophomore in high school, especially because he was playing with his brother by his side, “that was pretty special.” His best memory at UD was the national game, against one of the best teams in the nation, that we hosted, “even though we lost it, the atmosphere was great.”
Scott Stevens, a retired defenseman for the New Jersey Devils, is a player that Alex loves to watch. He looks to him as a role model because “he likes to come across and blow guys up and go for the big hits.” Though Stevens played for the Devils, Guerra is a Philadelphia Flyers fan.
Before starting college, Alex took a year off from school to play junior league hockey in NJ where he lived with his aunt, and took a course at the local community college. It was while he was playing on the junior league team that he was introduced to Delaware. A lot of the guy he knew played for Delaware, so he reached out to the coaches, and it was a great fit. Now, as a senior on the team, Alex has younger teammates that look up to him. He feels that his role as a senior is, “to lead and to show the freshman how to play by leading by example, going 110%, setting the standard for all the younger kids, and to leave the team in better shape than we got it than when we came in as seniors. So every year it just progressively gets better, so that’s the main goal.”
His final words for the team he’s leaving behind and future Delaware hockey players is, “Enjoy the ride, it’s fun, but it goes pretty fast, so just enjoy every moment as much as you can.”
- Cats or dogs? Dogs
- Pizza or ice cream? Pizza
- Kate’s or Grottos? Kate’s
- If you could only bring three things to an island, what would they be? A lighter, an ax or knife, and a bed to sleep on.
- If you could choose to sing one song on American Idol, what would it be? Sexual Healing by Marvin Gaye
- If your life were made into a movie, who would play you? Arnold Schwarzenegger or the Rock
- You’re a new Crayola crayon color, what’s your name? “Bad Ass Black”
- Favorite throwback song? Don’t Stop Believing by Journey
- What’s your favorite Disney princess? Cinderella
- Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Chicken
- Pepsi or Coke? Coke
- Most embarrassing moment ever? “Falling face first on the floor of Kate’s because I was trying to get out, and tripped over a couple of people and just smashed my head on the floor in front of everyone. So that was bad.”
- If you could have any superpower, what would it be? “Being able to read people’s minds whenever I want.”
- Favorite Kardashian? The dad, Robert
- Fallon or Kimmel? Fallon
- Dream vacation spot? Somewhere in southern Italy
- Spongebob or Patrick? Patrick
- If you could choose to swap lives with any celebrity, who would it be? “Arnold Schwarzenegger because he’s done everything, strongest guy in the world, governor, movie star, like it doesn’t get better than that.”
- Is it a great day to be a Blue Hen? “Yeah, I’d say so. I got a couple of good grades back, so yeah it’s a great day today to be a Blue Hen.”
- Ready to graduate or no? No, not even close.
Written By: Analisa Vizzoni