Drew Torrey hails from Long Island, New York has been a forward with the Blue Hens for the past four seasons. When off the ice, Torrey spends his time studying as a Finance and Accounting double major. However, he has been playing hockey since the young age of 5 years old. Starting with deck hockey, then roller hockey, he finally ended up on the ice in the third grade. Drew was influenced by both sides of his family to start playing the sport, and influenced by his grandfather to love the Florida Panthers.
Having many fond memories of the game, one that sticks out is a tournament he played in in the seventh grade. He and his tournament team “went up to Quebec and [they] played a bunch of teams from around the world, like Russia.” Although the team didn’t too so well, the experience was a chance of a lifetime. While playing at Delaware, Drew will always remember the National tournament his sophomore year when the team won the game in double overtime.
When deciding to attend UD, Drew was also influenced by family. He had an older sister who came here before him, and she spoke highly of the school. He knew it was a fun place to be, with a good business school and a recognized hockey program. Making the team his freshman year, he had the chance to play with many different players and in games against a large number of teams. One of the biggest team rivalries would be “Stony Brook, we always have pretty tough games against them,” says Drew.
With graduation right around the corner, Torrey plays a certain role on the team. He feels that he is an “energy guy.” He said, “I like to talk up in the locker room and on the bench, you know just keep the guys going.” His advice for the younger guys on the team and future Blue Hens to come is to “enjoy it, it goes way too quickly. As much as the season can become a grind, it will be over before you know it.”
- Cats or dogs? Dogs.
- Kate’s or Grottos? Kate’s.
- If you could have any superpower what would it be? Flying.
- Most embarrassing moment ever? “Probably some kind of public speaking event.”
- If you could choose one song to sing on American Idol, what would it be? Dancing Queen.
- Who is your celebrity crush? Em Rata.
- Dream vacation spot? Bali.
- What’s the best prank you ever played? Putting crickets in the library of his high school.
- What’s one thing you can’t live without? “My cell phone.”
- Fallon or Kimmel? Fallon.
- Who is your role model? “My grandpa.”
- If your life were made into a movie, who would play you? Will Smith.
- Best pickup line? “Hi, my name is Drew.”
- What’s your favorite color? Blue.
- If you could eat dinner with any three people, dead or alive, who would they be? Will Smith, Derek Jeter, and George Washington.
- Who is your favorite Disney princess? Cinderella.
- Spongebob or Patrick? Spongebob.
- You’re a new Crayola crayon color, what’s your name? “Icy White.”
- Is it a great day to be a Blue Hen? “Always.”
- Ready to graduate or no? “Never.”