This Bruins fan, hailing from Middleton, Massachusetts, comes to UD to serve as the hockey team’s President and assistant captain for this season. Wanting to follow in his older brother’s footsteps, Vinny Zingarelli started skating when he was only two years old. On the ice ever since, he began organized hockey at around the age of four. With so many years of hockey under his belt, he has made some great memories. One that sticks out in his mind is from when he was playing Junior B. He was on the Junior Boston Bruins, and they hosted the national tournament. His team took the title in what Vinny called a “magical run.”
Coming to Delaware was an easy choice. He fell in love with the campus the minute he stepped foot on it, and was immediately intrigued by the buzz around here. Everything between the top notch facilities, academics, and a good social scene, made it an “easy sell.” Playing four years of hockey here, there have been many ups and downs. Vinny has had some pretty exciting moments during his time here. During his freshman year, “we hosted nationals, and we had a sold out crowd at the Fred Rust. That was pretty awesome.” Another really impressive moment of his was scoring the winning overtime goal at the National tournament last season in a game against Mercyhurst University.
Delaware has had some rivalries come and go throughout the years, but during Vinny’s time here, one team sticks out the most. Stony Brook University, a school that he almost attended, is the team’s biggest rival. These games are always exciting, and the Hens haven’t beat them since Vinny’s first season here. He also noted, that recently Rutgers has been a pretty intense rivalry.
Being one of four seniors on the team, and holding the positions that he does, Vinny serves as a mentor for his teammates. He feels that his role on the team is to “set an example on and off the ice, lead by example, and give them good advice if they ever need to talk.” He says his door is always open to his teammates for whatever they need. When his time here comes to a close in May, Vinny wants to leave the team with a thank you, and wants them to remember to never stop being proud to be a Delaware hockey player.
- Cats or dogs? “Dogs, but I don’t hate cats.”
- Guilty pleasure song? Anything by Ed Sheeran or John Mayer
- Kate’s or Grottos? Both, but also Timothy’s. RIP.
- If you could eat dinner with three people, dead or alive, who would they be? Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, and Joffrey Lupul.
- If you could choose to sing one song on American Idol, what would it be? Sussudio by Phil Collins.
- If your life were made into a movie, who would play you? “The guy who plays Vinny Chase in Entourage.”
- You’re a new Crayola crayon color, what’s your name? Creepy Blue, Blue.
- What is the best prank you ever played? He catfished a member of his juniors team on eHarmony.
- Who’s your favorite Disney princess? Pocahontas.
- Early bird or night owl? Night hawk.
- If you HAD to change your name, what would you change it to? I like my first name.
- What’s one thing that you can’t live without? Water.
- If you could have any superpower, what would it be? Flying would be cool.
- What’s your best pickup line? “You’re the perfect combination of cute and sexy.” From Crazy, Stupid, Love.
- Fallon or Kimmel? Fallon.
- Dream vacation spot? Vegas with the boys.
- Most embarrassing moment? Skating up to get a trophy when he was five years old, his hockey pants broke and his pants fell down in front of the whole crowd.
- Any hidden talents? “I can put my foot over my head. My right foot.”
- Is it a great day to be a Blue Hen? Everyday.
- Ready to graduate or no? Right now no, but like maybe when the time comes I’m gonna have to be.
Written By: Analisa Vizzoni